Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Tuesday Tips for the Homestead!

  In my quest to learning more and more about my profession of homekeeping/homesteading,  (marriage, then in turn motherhood, is my vocation, homemaking/steading is my side job!)  I am constantly looking for little ways to do things better, easier, more efficiently.  I would like to share those little tidbits that I learn along the way.  Each Tuesday I hope to post a new tip.  It is my hope that you all will join me.  Please leave your link below.  I am super eager to learn from you!


  My first tip:   Making lasagna can be a real pain in the tooter. (Like that word?  Yeah, I have little boys...)  I never have a pot big enough to boil the noodles properly.  I know some people say you don't have to boil them,  but mine always turn out like sticky cardboard if I don't.  I finally found a way to make this task easier!  Fill  your tea kettle and set it to boil.  While it is heating  place the uncooked lasagna noodles in a  9 x 13 dish.  When the kettle whistles,  pour the water over the uncooked noodles.  I add a bit of olive oil to help prevent them from sticking.  Let them sit for about 15 minutes.  Remove the partially cooked noodles  (I lay them on a wax paper lined cookie sheet.) and proceed to prepare your lasagna. (My favorite lasagna is from The Pioneer Woman - seriously the best ever!)  The noodles are not cooked through this way,  but they will continue cooking when you bake the lasagna.  This way they are not mushy.  They have a nice "bite" to them and keep their shape. 


2 comments:

  1. There are many fine and tasty herbs, spices and condiments that can add zest to some of the more bland heart health dishes. Herbs include oregano, basil, cilantro, thyme, parsley, sage, rosemary. Cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper and paprika are all acceptable spices. Along with the reduced fat or nonfat salad dressing and salsa there are old standbys like mustard, catsup, horseradish, reduced fat or nonfat mayonnaise, reduced fat or nonfat sour cream, reduced fat or nonfat yogurt and reduced sodium soy sauce. That’s to say nothing of Parmesan cheese, fruit preserves and simple red pepper flakes, none of which will harm you heart.

    Healthy cooking tips

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great tip. I can't think of anything to share at the moment but will keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete